Wednesday, August 19, 2009

500 Days of Summer

No, I'm not talking about the movie...though I did see it, and it's fantastic. This summer has honestly seemed 500 days long. I've been home for two months without a job, without school, and without being able to go out of town for more than a day or two because I was hoping for job interviews. I've had a lot of boring days, and yet, I've been through 8 weeks of boot camp, gotten involved at church, and lost a lot of softball games. :)

A couple of weeks ago, I got an exciting phone call. One of the temp agencies I had applied to found a job for me at a country club. It was perfect-- I could set my own hours, the pay was good, and it would be clerical-type work. Last Tuesday, I was up and getting ready for work. About 30 minutes before I was to leave, my phone rang. It was the temp agency. They had received an email from the country club, and my position had been "eliminated." It was quite a blow. I knew my money was quickly running out, and here I was back at square one. It was a low point.

The same day a friend of mine called. He had found out about my job situation and told me he thought he could get me a job. It was a huge blessing, and yet not something I really wanted. He's the former manager at the Chick-fil-a in Longview, and he and the new manager are good friends. If you don't know, I worked at CFA for 2 1/2 years in high school. It was a great job...when I was 16. Going back is a blow to my ego. But I sat myself down and really weighed the pros and cons. They're flexible, I'll make the money I need, they're closed on Sundays, and it's a great environment. The cons: it was my high school job. So, I sucked it up, applied, interviewed, and got the job. I trained this past Monday, and I start next week.

I'm a 25 year old, bachelor degree holding, single, fast food worker who lives with her parents. And that's okay. I'm so thankful to the Lord for providing this opportunity. After 25 or more applications and 2 useless interviews, I have a means of income. And that's all I can really ask. I'm going back to school to pursue a career that I really want, and I'm saving money by not paying rent.

Maybe this isn't the life I imagined for myself when I was younger. But it's my life. And I'm living it the best way I know how.

Christen

No comments: