Friday, January 14, 2011

Remember that one time I wanted to be a...

It's never a huge surprise when I decide to pursue a new career. You're all used to it by now. What I'm not used to: not getting it my way.

A year and a half ago, I moved back to Longview to attend EMT/Paramedic school. As I completed 3 semesters of school, I got a job at Chick-fil-A to pay the bills. And it's been a rollercoaster ever since.

I worked for CFA for 2 1/2 years in high school. I loved my high school job, but going back at 25 was humiliating! I hated it and truly questioned my decision to move home. But little did I know, God had a lot up his sleeve.

This past July, I was asked to become the assistant manager of CFA. It threw a huge wrench in my plans. The focus being on "my." I couldn't take the job and do school. After much deliberation, the job won out. And boy, did I not know what I was getting myself into. The first few weeks, I was a mess- stressed, frustrated, scattered. But thankfully, my bosses saw something in me I never knew was there. Honestly, no idea. It's been a truly humbling experience. And I love it. I love who I work for, and who I work with. I love going to work. Who knew chicken could be so much fun?

Next thing I knew, July became November...and the Longview Fire Department was accepting applications for their apprenticeship. They're paying for 6 eligible candidates to complete fire academy and paramedic school. This is what I moved home for. This is what I one day want to do! So I applied.

200 applications were received. And 157 were filled out correctly. I was part of that 157.

Those 157 were invited to take a written test over things like reading comprehension, math, and auditory listening skills. 115 candidates showed up for the test. I was part of that 115.

Out of those 115 testers, the top 22 scores were taken and invited to take the physical ability test. I was part of that 22.

This morning 21 apprentice candidates showed up in the 20 degree weather to complete a physical agility course of 11 stations within the 7 minute limit. The course had everything from raising a 50 foot ladder with a rope to pulling a 175 lb sled about 40 yards to crawling through an attic space on 2X4 boards without slipping or going below the rafters. I completed the course! In 7 min 42 seconds. 42 seconds over the time limit. My candidacy phase ended right there on the freezing cold asphalt, in the midst of sweat, tears, and big bruises (no blood thankfully).

And I was fine with it. The feeling when it was over, besides exhaustion, was complete and total peace. I had struggled with the decision of applying because I do enjoy my job so. About 2 weeks ago, I surrendered it to the Lord. "Lord, what happens, happens. I trust you will place me where you want me."

So though it may seem I missed something amazing by 42 seconds, I have to see that the Lord reassured me that he has me where he wants me for this season of my life.

And I'm pretty fond of this season.

No comments: