Thursday, June 9, 2005

I got home Tuesday night in the most frustrating way:

I arrive at O'Hare (in Chicago) at 12:45 for my 2:30 pm departure to Houston Intercontinental. I check my luggage, breeze through security, and buy a cookie because I'm almost two hours early for my flight. I check my phone because it's set up to send me texts of flight information. I have a text that says my gate changed to H10. Okay, I think, I have all the time in the world. I waltz down to H10 to see that there is no flight listed on the screen and nobody waiting in that waiting area. Hum, I guess the gate didn't change to H10. I walk over to a departure monitor to check the gate number. My eyes scan down to Dallas/Ft.Worth, 2:30 flight, Gate H13. Oh, I think, it's only 3 gates away. So I sit in Gate H13 for 2 hours. The plane becomes delayed due to pressurization problems. I call my brother to inform him that my flight is delayed. No problem. That is until they begin boarding. I get in line and look at the informational screen. An hour and a half flight? There's no way...it takes an hour and a half to get to...DALLAS!! I'm waiting in line to get on a Dallas flight, and I live in HOUSTON!!! I look at my watch: 2:50 pm. My heart sunk; my flight to Houston was at 2:30. (Que the sad music and me feeling completely stupid) I find the rebooking desk that should be called the "Hey idiot who missed your flight" desk. I talk to an agent who informs me it will be $100 to switch to a later flight. I yell "Oh my gosh, are you serious?" into the phone because I'm a poor little girl. He finally tells me that I qualify for free standby and there is a 6:50 flight. I go find a gate agent and tell him my sad story. He takes my old boarding pass and ID and hands me a new boarding pass. (He wasn't supposed to put me on the flight, just standby) But he whispers, "Just take it, you're set."

The moral of the story is: No matter how long you've lived in one city, after you move, you have to fly to the new city.

Christen

Thanks to those who actually read the above, it's pretty funny.

No comments: