Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sex

I've recently started watching Sex and the City somewhat faithfully. It comes on the CW every night as I'm getting into bed, and I'm guilty of both renting a complete season and seeing the new movie. I'm fascinated by their fashion and friendships as well as their complete lack of respect for sex.

I'm openly a virgin. It's most definitely a choice, not an unfortunate lack of options or opportunities. I think relationships are hard enough by themselves. You're trying to get to know someone, feel comfortable with them, build a mutual trust-- why complicate things even more with sex? I've heard you've gotta test drive before you buy. But if all you've ever driven is a Ford and all you will ever drive is a Ford, you love driving a Ford. This isn't complicated...

So anyway, watching this show really got me thinking. I can't imagine how hard it is to be in a new, vulnerable relationship and worrying about sex on top of that. In one episode, Carrie and Mr. Big had been dating for a couple of months, sleeping together frequently, when they went three days without sex. She was freaking out, questioning the relationship, wondering what it meant. I have my fair share of freaking out during relationships, and it usually happens before I've even kissed the guy! In that moment, I just thought, "Wow, I can't imagine going through a break up and trying to get over a guy who I shared something that intimate with."

When I get married (one of these days), I won't have anything to compare with. I won't have to be figuring out a relationship and sex at the same time. I'll be in the most protected, safe relationship of my life.

Just a thought...

3 comments:

Jason said...

nice title.

Anonymous said...

"Safe" is the perfect word for that. As someone who has only slept with one man - my husband after we got married - can I just say that it is the most wonderful thing to know that he will always be the one to share that with. It's exclusive: just you and him. And, for those who would say you need a little experience, it's a lot more fun to figure things out together - I mean, you have the rest of your lives to do so!! :)

Anonymous said...

haha I've recruited another