Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 16: Pure Inspiration

I'm sorry I'm a bit behind on these 30 days. I'm not giving up...just have a lot on my mind right now, and it's hard to be creative.

Day 16: Someone Who Inspires You

I didn't have to think twice about who I would say inspires me. I think anyone who knows my mother would tell you she is inspirational.



Obviously I have known my mother for 27 years. However, I don't think I really got to know her until I was in college. When I left for school, she did her best to give me my space. She rarely called, but I found myself calling her. By my senior year in college, I called her every day. Even now, living in the same town, I call her every day. At 27 years old, I need to know her opinion on things. I need to tell her the latest news. She's the best friend a daughter could ever ask for.

My mother is a quiet force. She doesn't get easily excited or angry. I have heard her raise her voice probably a grand total of 5 times in my life. (Those are scary moments, by the way.) Mom conveys her frustration, disappointment, or impatience with a look. She enjoys being with her family and finds joy in taking care of them (and me). I know she loves being a mother, but she is thriving being a grandmother. Watching her with Eli and Joe is very special. I can't wait to see her someday with my kids.

Mom runs a tight ship. Everything has a place and will be in its place before she leaves the house. She's the most organized and efficient person I know. If you need organizational skills, spend one day with her. Even her sugar and flour are organized. She may not be a chef, but she's a good cook. Family dinners, whether at home or a restaurant, are important. I never remember eating dinner in the living room or in front of the tv. We eat together, at the table, with conversation.

My mom loves the Lord with all of her heart. She wakes before anyone else in the family to read the Bible. She prayed with us every night as little kids. And now, as adults, she engages us in spiritual conversation. My mom fasted when I was in a bad relationship. She prays for me when I'm going through tough times. I know she always has my back.

Mom is inspirational because she makes me want to be a better woman. I know how to keep a clean house because she taught me to sweep and dust, and how you don't need Windex to clean a mirror. I organize things, and alphabetize papers, because I know she would, too.

And someday, when it's the right time, I know I will be a good, loving wife, because all I have ever seen from my mom is how to be a faithful, loving, encouraging wife. And I know I will be a good mother, because the Lord could not have given me a better motherly example. I feel prepared for the world because I am walking in the foot steps of my mother.

I love you, Mom.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Love this. Love her. Love you.