Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 9: The Bestie

The picture for Day 8 is supposed to be one that makes me laugh. I have the exact picture in mind, but it's at my parents' house. So, no worries, but I'll get back to this. :)

Day 9: The Person Who Has Gotten You Through The Most

Meet Shelby. Lovingly referred to as Shelbs. Shelby is my best friend.


I have known Shelby in some capacity since 2nd or 3rd grade. Our dads were pastors in the same section, so we met at church events, and we actually went on the same mission trip in high school. One of my favorite memories of Shelby is at PK Retreat (pastors' kids retreat) one year when she was making items from duct tape. She made flip flops, wallets, etc. from all the different colors of duct tape available. Random. That's Shelby for you. :)

During my freshman year in college, Shelby went to Master's Commission in Florida. I really don't remember how we got connected and started emailing, but we emailed a lot that year. The following year, I went to Master's in Illinois. The year after that, Shelby and I both attended Southwestern Assemblies of God University. That year, we ran in the same circles, had a few classes together, and finally had a chance to really be friends. Shelby is the easiest person on earth to be friends with.

During my junior year in college, we got to be roommates! That was one of the best years of my life! We shared clothes. I borrowed Shelby's clothes. We danced; we laughed; we sat on the outside couch and did homework. We became great friends.

After college, we both did our own things for a while, but I ended up in McKinney, and Shelbs in Red Oak. During those 18 months, we became best friends. We had sleep overs, cried over boys, met for coffee (even if it was almost 45 minutes each way), and drove to LA and back. Without stopping to sleep either way. M.I.A. will always remind me of that trip.

This is Shelbs and I in L.A.:



During my time in McKinney, Shelby met the love of her life. I am so thankful to have been able to be around during that time. Here we are at her wedding to JOSH!



This is at the rehearsal dinner. Hate the bangs, love the picture:

So, where was I going with all of this? Oh yes, the person who has gotten me through the most. I cannot imagine surviving the last 3 years without her. She lets me be an open book. She takes me at face value and doesn't run when I make stupid mistakes. The song "That's What Friends Are For" is now playing in my head. :) So glad to have her in my life.
Shelbs- love you. Thankful every single day for you. Forever besties.

No comments: