Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 5: Favorite Memory

Day 5: My Favorite Memory
The summer before 2nd grade, my parents took Mark and I to Wichita Falls to eat at Olive Garden, as well as to change our lives forever.

It's become a bit of a joke in my family that whenever we have a super special dinner, there's probably going to be a big announcement, too. We've moved enough to know that it's perfectly acceptable to question all out-of-the-usual meals.

Anyway, this particular meal was nice. We were living in Graham, and Olive Garden wasn't exactly down the road, or in the budget. But as we sat at the table in the corner with windows right behind Mom and Dad, I think Mark and I were both somewhat suspicious. And then it came...

"We're having a baby!"

I don't remember what my reaction was- excited, shrieking- who knows. But I remember that table and those windows and where I was sitting. That's how a lot of my childhood memories work- just pictures.

The coming months were very exciting. I loved feeling the baby move in Mom's tummy. We talked to him all the time, decorated his room, and made lots of plans. Well, as many plans as you can make without knowing the sex. We didn't find out until birth, but my parents went ahead and picked out names for both sexes: Scott Wesley Carter or Mary Elizabeth Carter.

By December of 1991, I was beside myself excited! I couldn't decide if I wanted a brother or a sister. A sister seemed fun because she would be on my side against Mark, but a brother...

My parents had decided if the baby was a girl, Mark would get to hold her first, but if it was a boy, I would get to hold him first. So, clearly, I wanted a brother. To be able to hold the baby before Mark, I would take a brother for the rest of my life. This was a simple choice.

As Christmas approached, my parents and Mom's doctor both wanted the baby out in time for the big jolly holiday. Mom was induced on December 19. Not only was I about to get a new sibling, but I also got to skip school! Score! However, labor did not progress very quickly. We spent all day, and all night, at the hospital. There are so many pictures of us playing cards and taking naps. It was a long 24 hours.

Finally around 4 a.m. on December 20, little Scott Wesley came screaming out! I was sitting in the hallway in my Nannie's lap when we heard Dad shout, "It's a boy!" I remember Nannie immediately burst into tears. At the time, I wasn't sure if she was happy about Scott being a boy. Now, looking back, I think she was relieved he was a boy. Scott is named after Nannie's 2nd son, Scott, who passed away over 35 years ago.


After Mom and Dad took turns holding him, Mom carefully passed him off to me. As a little 2nd grader, this was the coolest moment of my life. This baby, this tiny little thing, was my baby brother. I intended to hold him, feed him, change him, and care for him forever. Sometimes, I feel like I still do. ;)

Mark got his turn eventually, but I made sure to stretch out my turn as long as possible.


After the excitement of the moment wound down, Nannie and Granddaddy took us home to get some sleep. We got to skip a SECOND day of school! However, the day Scott was born was my school Christmas party, so Nannie took me for about an hour to see my friends, open my present, and eat all the goodies. I also got to tell my class about my new baby brother. I was on cloud nine.

Scott's not so tiny anymore. Actually, he's the tallest person in my immediate family. But he'll always be my baby brother. I still boss him around, question his actions, and give him unsolicited advice, but I love him unconditionally.

I'm thankful every day for December 20, 1991.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Two things:
1) I didn't know I wasn't following you. I thought I was. I remedied this.

and B) This made me smile. I remember this day as sitting in a vacant hospital room across the hall from where your mom was, watching a lot of infomercials and reruns because there was nothing on TV at 2 a.m. :) The first picture is awesome! Your dad has so much HAIR!! :)

Oh, and I also remember thinking: "Finally! A nephew I can ENJOY!" hahaha!