Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 17: Huge Impact

Day 17: A picture of something that has made a huge impact on your life recently

I guess my procrastination has paid off. I have big news and wanted to share, but I hated to interrupt this blog-a-thon. So, I was pleased to find out Day 17 was a chance to share about my recent life-changing event.

I work here:



Here's a little history:

In 1999, as my 16th birthday was quickly approaching, I knew I wanted a part-time job. My parents were generous, but I wanted freedom, dangit! A lady at church recommended that I apply at Chick-fil-A, but I went ahead and applied at several places. Chick-fil-A was the first place to call me. I remember exactly what I was wearing: black flowy pants, a white button down, and my platform black flipflops. I interviewed with Shane, and soon after had my first official (legal) job.**

I have so many memories of working there in high school. I tell my night time kids all the time to treasure their time at CFA because I am still friends with so many former co-workers. Just this week, I've had lunch with 2 of them, Emily and Reggie, and had a chance to see Brandon. I talk to Ikey pretty often, too. Those were 2 1/2 great years!



I moved home in 2009 to go back to school. I thought college degree + job experience would equal a fantastic job. I never thought twice about having a problem finding a job. Instead, I applied at 20+ establishments. 25 resumes, 2 awful interviews, and 3 months of zero income later...I called an old CFA friend. He said they were always looking for good workers.

With my tail figuratively between my legs, I went and applied. I wasn't 16. I was 25. I had graduated from a 4-year university, flown to dozens of countries in the world as a flight attendent, and assisted in the education process of 120 bright and up-and-coming young minds. But the truth was, our economy was in a downward spiral, and I was over-qualified for part-time jobs. No one wanted to hire me, just to see me leave in 6 months.

Thankfully, Chick-fil-A was willing to deal with me. After eating a big ol' slice of humble pie, I suited up: uniform shirt, pants, and visor. I grabbed a rag and cleaned tables, chairs, puke off the floor, and dirt off the playground. I refilled drinks and filled orders. And at the end of the day, I got my paycheck and thanked the good Lord for giving me a job.



After almost a year, I was offered a job as the assistant manager. This confident, self-proclaimed "over-qualified" woman was terrified! I was good at cleaning. I was good at taking orders. But being in charge of people? And making sure that a shift runs smoothly? And making the weekly schedule??? I was scared to death!

After much debating and prayer, I accepted the position. It meant quitting school. It meant moving to nights. It meant giving up a chunk of my social life. But it also gave me the opportunity to grow in areas I have never been stretched: like conflict resolution and personnel management. It also meant getting to work with some of the greatest young people I could ever know. I love my night time kids. They are a huge joy! And yeah, I haven't been on a date in months, and I rarely get an evening to myself, but I get to have lunch dates with old friends. And I get to sleep late. :)

The Lord has opened a new, scary, exciting door. (And the point of this blog.)

As of March 1, I will be the store manager of the East Longview Chick-fil-A!

I am beyond humbled. I feel so honored to be thought able to do this job. My bosses see things in me that I've never seen. I am so grateful that they are willing to teach me and cultivate me. I have great, huge things to learn, yet I'm willing. I have no idea what the road ahead looks like, but I'm here for some reason.

I've trusted God to lead my path my entire life. Never before, like now, have doors swung open without my knowledge. I never sought these positions. I have no idea how I got here. But I'm here. And I'm going to take every moment as a lesson. Every moment as an opportunity. God has me here for something, and I'm ready to take it head on.

Thank you to my wonderful bosses, Chuck and Shane, for believing in me. I hope to live up to your expectations. I will try every day.

Much love.

**Prior to Chick-fil-A, I worked at a tanning salon and a golf course restaurant. Both jobs paid me cash, i.e. not legal.**

No comments: